If you want to stay sane do the following:
- Delete social media apps from your phone. This forces you to go to the official websites, all of which are hot garbage. In this way you turn Facebook and Twitter into read only access points and/or broadcast mediums. If you are not a public figure or trying to sell something you should consider social media a parasite and not worth engagement.
- Use TweetDeleter to delete all your old Tweets. There are some people out there who believe Twitter is akin to the Library of Congress and that their zingers should be kept for posterity. Get over yourself. Delete that shit. Anything on social media that is older than 24 hours is food for robots who want to sell you something. It’s far harder to delete all your Facebook posts but there are some tools that can help.
- Delete your Instagram account. Instagram is brain cancer.
4. Unfollow everyone on Twitter. If you’re using Mac OS you need to use ruby and a program called t. The instructions for installing it are quite simple. To do it open your terminal application and type:
You should see something like
ruby 2.3.7p456 (2018–03–28 revision 63024) [universal.x86_64-darwin18]
Then type “sudo gem install t” and type in your password. This SHOULD install t for you. Your results may vary.
You’ll then type “t authorize” which should create a Twitter app for your account. This account will use an API key and API secret. If you have trouble, check out this solution.
t list create following-`date “+%Y-%m-%d”`
To create a list of the folks you’re following (in case you want to refollow them or whatever). Then type:
t followings | xargs t unfollow
If you want to unfollow everyone or:
t leaders | xargs t unfollow
If you just want to follow people who don’t follow you back.
5. Meditate or go for a walk or something. Stay the hell off social media. Go hug a dog or something. Seriously — when was the last time you picked up a real book? My friend Ryan Holiday posts a list of good books every month and I also send out a list of books monthly. You can sign up for mine here.
Special thanks to Natasha for her suggestion to clear my head a little.